Friday, November 27, 2009

Christmas Cards

I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving!  Now that the turkey and pumpkin pie have settled and you've enjoyed your "Black Friday" shopping, it is time to start working on those Christmas cards!   I want to share a few new cards with you over the next several days.  Hopefully you'll be as inspired by these cards as I was... while I can't take credit for these samples as they were originally created by other talented ladies, I did try to recreate their works of art.  Enjoy!


I found this first card posted here and Kari Hurst was listed as its creator.  I was so impressed with her card that I challenged myself to recreate it.  I like the rich look of the Soft Suede as well as Kari's use of the Modern Label and Eyelet Border Punches.  I used the Frost White Shimmer Paint spray to give it some shimmer, too!  To make the shimmer spray I combined some rubbing alcohol and Frost White Shimmer Paint in a small spray bottle.  I love the effect of the shimmer spray.  Dasher is a pretty handsome fellow, isn't he?!


 Supplies
Stamps:  Dasher, Serene Snowflakes, Teeny Tiny Wishes
Cardstock:  Soft Suede, Whisper White
Ink:  Soft Suede
Accessories:  Modern Label Punch, Eyelet Border Punch, Soft Suede Ribbon, Sponge, Stampin' Dimensionals, Frost White Shimmer Paint (in Shimmer Spray)

This next card is my version of a card I found here originally created by Kerin Sylvester.  (Now if you want to follow the chain of inspiration, Kerin was inspired by card she found here on Jackie Wright's blog... Jackie was inspired by Michelle Zindorf, a very talented stamper and artist whose work you can check out here.)   As you can see, I made two different versions of the card... placing the circle mask in a different spot each time to create the moon.  The technique I used involved a brayer and three shades of blue applied to a piece of Whisper White cardstock:  Bordering Blue, Not Quite Navy, Night of Navy.  I started with the lightest shade first, then applied not quite navy next, and night of navy last.  After removing the circle mask (made with a post-it note and the 1 3/4" circle punch), I stamped Santa and his sleigh from the Wandering Words stamp set across the center of the piece of cardstock.  Lastly I sprayed the piece with the shimmer spray made with the Frost White Shimmer Paint and rubbing alcohol to give it a little sparkle.




Supplies
Stamps:  Wandering Words
Cardstock:  Whisper White, Not Quite Navy
Ink:  Bordering Blue, Not Quite Navy, Night of Navy, Basic Black
Accessories:  Brayer, Shimmer Paint (spray mixture), Silver Cord, 1 3/4" Circle Punch, Post-it Note

Be sure and check back tomorrow for some more "borrowed" inspiration!

Sue

No comments: